It is currently June 18th, 2019, 4:33 am

All times are UTC-03:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 556 Next
PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 8:30 am 

I steal a moment now and then to play Crusader Kings, but between my 9 month old Son, Work and CN my chances to play are few and far between :sadgerman:

Shameless alliance hopper and purveyor of fine wines.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 11:23 am 
Ritter
Ritter

Hearts of iron 2: arsenal of democracy

Sorry Amereich

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

AID to nordreich nations sent: 54mill
nations recruited for nordreich: 5
Nemhauser wrote:If this turns into another 'Ty is a girl/boy' thread, I will kill myself.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 11:24 am 
Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox live... anyone want to start a clan? :germansmile:

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 11:35 am 
Herzog
Herzog

super mario bros 3 , super mario rpg, nhl2k10 with wii :tonguegerman: having lots of fun

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 1:54 pm 
Fürst
Fürst

Edgar de Conteville wrote:I'm still playing Crusader Kings. It's the game I've stuck with the longest and I can never get tired of it, especially when you "properly" play it, that meaning, roleplaying and doing the things your character would do based on his traits and abilities rather than meta-gaming. It makes it much more difficult but provides you a better experience, at least imo.

I'm currently playing a couple of games, but my primary one at the moment is as the Plantagenets. Starting with this guy I've managed to go a similar course to him (murdering/rebelling against my brother, the Duke of Anjou), though I doubt my great-grandson will be inheriting England anytime soon.
Cnut the Great wrote:Should I get EU3 or Victoria2
Good question. EU3 is only good once you also purchase all of its expansion games, as EU3 vanilla is.. well, terrible. Once you have Napoleons Ambition, In Nomine and Heir to the Throne, it's a great game. Victoria 2 meanwhile isn't quite as fleshed out as it could be and is mildly buggy, though for an initial Paradox release it's surprisingly well done.

Personally, I'd go with EU3+expansions just because it's a completed game and I doubt they'll be releasing any further expansion packs. Victoria 2 will be a gem in time though. Whatever you do though, avoid HOI3! :beatgerman:
Thanks for all the info. Im leaning towards EU3 total but Vic2 seems interesting with the political factions and such.

EDIT: How is Crusader Kings? It looks interesting.

Last edited by Cnut the Great on August 19th, 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 2:02 pm 
Fürst
Fürst

Nope, there's no expansion for Victoria 2 yet, only for Victoria, called Victoria:Revolutions (or Ricky).

I'd suggest buying EU3+ expansions as well, the game has an excellent replay value.

As a non-american, you have the freedom to say whatever the hell you want to.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 8:11 pm 
Ritter
Ritter

Kalin wrote:I never did play Hearts of Iron III, but as of late I have been considering giving it a try. What is wrong with it? Perhaps I should abstain, if it is somehow defective. As for Victoria 2, I am holding off on trying it until they patch it up good. I think I might also wait for a mod which introduces timed, historical events. I am quite fond of them in older Paradox titles. Rather than purging such events, they should have made two different main scenarios, one historical and one random. Still, I am sure that the community will cater to my cravings soon enough.
Hearts of Iron II was a WW2 simulator. Hearts of Ion III "simulates" a war that occurs anywhere from 1936 until, well, whatever the end date is. HOI3 makes the mistake of not changing much from the EU3 engine, so unfortunately the game is a random mess. If it isn't Finland declaring war on Switzerland, it's Greece launching an invasion into South America for no reason at all. This can be fun in its own right, but it's definately not a WW2 simulator and was a bust as far as the HOI series goes. Most have gone back to HOI2 until they fix the game.

Additionally, ministers never change from the default start dates. If you start the game in 1936, George V will be immortal and you'll never see a Winston Churchill as the UK. This has a big deal since some of these ministers are really bad, not to mention how much it takes immersion out.
Cnut the Great wrote: EDIT: How is Crusader Kings? It looks interesting.
No problem. Crusader Kings is a game where you play as a dynasty/family instead of a nation. It's a very good game once it's all patched up, and especially if you purchase its expansion pack, Deus Vult. If you go into it with the right mindset and can get past a rather difficult learning curve, you'll enjoy yourself. It's possible to play (with modding) as the son of Harald Harefoot, Ælfwine. Nothing is known of Ælfwine really aside from the fact he existed, and he didn't actively persue the English throne, but playing as the heirs of Knud the Great? Count me in ;).

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 8:22 pm 
Fürst
Fürst

Edgar de Conteville wrote:
Kalin wrote:I never did play Hearts of Iron III, but as of late I have been considering giving it a try. What is wrong with it? Perhaps I should abstain, if it is somehow defective. As for Victoria 2, I am holding off on trying it until they patch it up good. I think I might also wait for a mod which introduces timed, historical events. I am quite fond of them in older Paradox titles. Rather than purging such events, they should have made two different main scenarios, one historical and one random. Still, I am sure that the community will cater to my cravings soon enough.
Hearts of Iron II was a WW2 simulator. Hearts of Ion III "simulates" a war that occurs anywhere from 1936 until, well, whatever the end date is. HOI3 makes the mistake of not changing much from the EU3 engine, so unfortunately the game is a random mess. If it isn't Finland declaring war on Switzerland, it's Greece launching an invasion into South America for no reason at all. This can be fun in its own right, but it's definately not a WW2 simulator and was a bust as far as the HOI series goes. Most have gone back to HOI2 until they fix the game.

Additionally, ministers never change from the default start dates. If you start the game in 1936, George V will be immortal and you'll never see a Winston Churchill as the UK. This has a big deal since some of these ministers are really bad, not to mention how much it takes immersion out.
Cnut the Great wrote: EDIT: How is Crusader Kings? It looks interesting.
No problem. Crusader Kings is a game where you play as a dynasty/family instead of a nation. It's a very good game once it's all patched up, and especially if you purchase its expansion pack, Deus Vult. If you go into it with the right mindset and can get past a rather difficult learning curve, you'll enjoy yourself. It's possible to play (with modding) as the son of Harald Harefoot, Ælfwine. Nothing is known of Ælfwine really aside from the fact he existed, and he didn't actively persue the English throne, but playing as the heirs of Knud the Great? Count me in ;).
Can you play as Knud/Cnut the Great?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 8:36 pm 
Ritter
Ritter

Cnut the Great wrote: Can you play as Knud/Cnut the Great?
In the past, this would be impossible. But recently a no time limit patch was released and thus you can play in any period from year 0 AD until 9999 AD. So theoretically, yes you could. The issue is somebody would have to mod this particular period in CK, and barring myself, I don't think this will happen, especially with CK2 being announced.

So basically, it's possible, but only with (extensive) modding, thus unlikely.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 8:55 pm 
Fürst
Fürst

Edgar de Conteville wrote:
Cnut the Great wrote: Can you play as Knud/Cnut the Great?
In the past, this would be impossible. But recently a no time limit patch was released and thus you can play in any period from year 0 AD until 9999 AD. So theoretically, yes you could. The issue is somebody would have to mod this particular period in CK, and barring myself, I don't think this will happen, especially with CK2 being announced.

So basically, it's possible, but only with (extensive) modding, thus unlikely.
ahh well I'll wait till CK2. But what I really want is to see one of Paradox's games merged with one of the Total War series.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 556 Next