It is currently December 15th, 2018, 8:40 am

All times are UTC-03:00

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 6:56 pm 
Ritter
Ritter

Shamefully adapted from the topic over at the community boards, because, well, most people visit these boards now.

I am playing Victoria: Revolutions as Japan. Believe it or not, it is actually the first time I do that, I normally play as minor nations, or China. Holding back is a bit tricky, but so far I have restricted myself to taking Korea and Manchuria. Oh, and Hawaii as well. They had an event which gave them a Japanese pop, and I felt that I had to take measures to protect my people from those savages. :) Besides, it makes for a good staging point for my upcoming invasion of the heinous and most anti-Japanese United States. Or would, anyway, if navies did not have unlimited range. :P

Furthermore, I am playing Sanitarium and I absolutely love it so far. Interesting puzzles, good story and great atmosphere. It might just become one of my all-time favourites.

So what are you guys playing at the moment?

"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist."

"Time to get back to basics... Prepare my Mecha-Suit for battle."
Cuba wrote:Kalin, your keen ability to turn every topic into being about Asia, philosophy, Asian philosophy, sociology and WTF moments, never dulls.
Agha Petros Elia wrote:YO PEAZ NoR
Eisen wrote:Nukes are like spinach for Popeye.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 7:16 pm 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

Kayne & Lynch 2 on PC. It's bascially just shooting everything that moves, which is fun if you're in the right mood. I had to turn off the shaky cam, though, as my brain was about to explode due to all the, well, shaking. I had a similar experience watching Transformers 2.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 8:08 pm 
Fürst
Fürst

Should I get EU3 or Victoria2

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 10:23 pm 
Ritter
Ritter

I'm still playing Crusader Kings. It's the game I've stuck with the longest and I can never get tired of it, especially when you "properly" play it, that meaning, roleplaying and doing the things your character would do based on his traits and abilities rather than meta-gaming. It makes it much more difficult but provides you a better experience, at least imo.

I'm currently playing a couple of games, but my primary one at the moment is as the Plantagenets. Starting with this guy I've managed to go a similar course to him (murdering/rebelling against my brother, the Duke of Anjou), though I doubt my great-grandson will be inheriting England anytime soon.
Cnut the Great wrote:Should I get EU3 or Victoria2
Good question. EU3 is only good once you also purchase all of its expansion games, as EU3 vanilla is.. well, terrible. Once you have Napoleons Ambition, In Nomine and Heir to the Throne, it's a great game. Victoria 2 meanwhile isn't quite as fleshed out as it could be and is mildly buggy, though for an initial Paradox release it's surprisingly well done.

Personally, I'd go with EU3+expansions just because it's a completed game and I doubt they'll be releasing any further expansion packs. Victoria 2 will be a gem in time though. Whatever you do though, avoid HOI3! :beatgerman:

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 12:39 am 
Im debating waiting for the next Civilization or getting Vic2.. or maybe getting back into Company of Heroes, which is a whole new route to time wasting..

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 2:56 am 
Fürst
Fürst

Kalin wrote: I am playing Victoria: Revolutions as Japan.
I'm playing Vicky 2 with Mexico, doing the same thing that you're doing with Japan. Taking over the US. Conquered Texas(i start with a war against them), UPCA(guatemala and honduras) and currently i'm besieging Chicago with my elite Mexican troops. :D

Also, I'm playing Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude and GTA IV. Oh and OpenTTD at work.

As a non-american, you have the freedom to say whatever the hell you want to.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 4:01 am 
Ritter
Ritter

ratonbox wrote: Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude .
Is that the one with the gameshow on campus?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 4:16 am 
Fürst
Fürst

Yep, downloaded it yesterday..

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 7:47 am 
Ritter
Ritter

Edgar de Conteville wrote:I'm still playing Crusader Kings. It's the game I've stuck with the longest and I can never get tired of it, especially when you "properly" play it, that meaning, roleplaying and doing the things your character would do based on his traits and abilities rather than meta-gaming. It makes it much more difficult but provides you a better experience, at least imo.
That is how I tend to play the game as well. It really draws you into the session, and it makes it a hundred times more challenging.
Personally, I'd go with EU3+expansions just because it's a completed game and I doubt they'll be releasing any further expansion packs. Victoria 2 will be a gem in time though. Whatever you do though, avoid HOI3! :beatgerman:
I never did play Hearts of Iron III, but as of late I have been considering giving it a try. What is wrong with it? Perhaps I should abstain, if it is somehow defective. As for Victoria 2, I am holding off on trying it until they patch it up good. I think I might also wait for a mod which introduces timed, historical events. I am quite fond of them in older Paradox titles. Rather than purging such events, they should have made two different main scenarios, one historical and one random. Still, I am sure that the community will cater to my cravings soon enough.
ratonbox wrote:
Kalin wrote: I am playing Victoria: Revolutions as Japan.
I'm playing Vicky 2 with Mexico, doing the same thing that you're doing with Japan. Taking over the US. Conquered Texas(i start with a war against them), UPCA(guatemala and honduras) and currently i'm besieging Chicago with my elite Mexican troops. :D

Also, I'm playing Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude and GTA IV. Oh and OpenTTD at work.
Wow, nice going. I never did play as Mexico, but I imagine that it must be quite tricky to fight the United States as them. If you are already at Chicago, you must have given the Yanks a hard beating. :)

Did you use allies to take them on? In my game, I just got the United Kingdom to join me in my assault. I am hoping that the Americans will divert their attention to Canada, so that I can conquer a lot of territory quickly, as to decimate their industrial output. It is 1910 and they have started to pump out troops and ships like crazy.
Nemhauser wrote:Kayne & Lynch 2 on PC. It's bascially just shooting everything that moves, which is fun if you're in the right mood. I had to turn off the shaky cam, though, as my brain was about to explode due to all the, well, shaking. I had a similar experience watching Transformers 2.
I had one of those when I watched Kung-Fu Panda. :P

Did you ever play Bioshock, by the way? It is a little dated now, but the graphics are good, the atmosphere is splendid and the story is mighty compelling. I am normally not a fan of modern action games, but it stood out.

"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist."

"Time to get back to basics... Prepare my Mecha-Suit for battle."
Cuba wrote:Kalin, your keen ability to turn every topic into being about Asia, philosophy, Asian philosophy, sociology and WTF moments, never dulls.
Agha Petros Elia wrote:YO PEAZ NoR
Eisen wrote:Nukes are like spinach for Popeye.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 8:10 am 
Fürst
Fürst

I jumped the Americans when the Confederates rebelled, because the UK declared on them in the same month. Got lucky with it. :D
Also, I have been building my nation like crazy for the last 10-20 years so I was prepared for them.
I'd suggest to wait until they patch Vicky 2, because i've encountered lot's of bugs and the game balance is way, way off.