It is currently March 24th, 2019, 5:00 pm

All times are UTC-03:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: December 30th, 2014, 2:24 pm 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

Thanks to us NV got their flag into the game.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.ph ... try2306080

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 1:56 pm 

What are your thoughts on mergers between two or more alliances?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 2:03 pm 
Kaiserin
Kaiserin

Some turn out pretty cool, others should have just quit the game.

Hiki säästää verta - Uberdude | עַם יִשְרָאֵל חַי
Click me!

ImageImage

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 3:59 pm 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

It all comes down to the reasons behind the merger.

To use Hanssen's examples, the people who came together to form Non Grata had all been allied to each other and came from alliances that were very active. All of the principals knew each other well, so the merger was relatively painless.

I don't know what went on in the backrooms before SNX was created, but I do know that it gathered together some of the most inactive, inept alliances and put them all in one place. To do that and expect something better to come out of it is just insane. It's the CN equivalent of having a baby to save one's marriage.

The NG merger was a coming together of partners. The SNX merger seemed (to those of us on the outside) to be an act of desperation.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 4:24 pm 
Kaiserin
Kaiserin

kingzog wrote:The SNX merger seemed (to those of us on the outside) to be an act of desperation.
The SNX merger was an act of genius.

Click me!

ImageImage

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 12:25 pm 

Thoughts on Berbers' thread?

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 12:55 pm 
Kaiserin
Kaiserin

I think that even if you had only one single nation out of PM, it wouldn't mean a thing. If you have determined that keeping nations in PM for the duration of a war is a valid tactic, then it's a valid tactic. No other alliance or entity can tell you that "ur doin it rong", because at the end of the day, they probably do something wrong too.

As for his question of why anyone would value a treaty with you, I've always thought that a treaty was more than just something to drag you into a war - it should exist because there is a flourishing, positive relationship between two or more alliances. A flourishing, positive relationship can continue to exist even if you "sit out" a war or two.

Click me!

ImageImage

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 9:51 pm 

I think people just need to get used to longer wars. If your enemies sit in peacemode, then start tech trading again. It's the best way to ensure that your enemies can't grow while you can. Can't think of a better punishment than that.

While you could get bushwhacked that way, either the entire enemy AA comes out at once, or they come out piecemeal. Either way, you get what you wanted in the first place. Just do tech circles to minimize damage.

Of course, I've always been a proponent of permawar.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 12:49 am 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

As I said in the thread, if you sit in PM you leave yourself open to criticism. Whether it's just or unjust criticism is a matter of perspective and, let's face it, personal interest.

If you go all out, folks respect that. I've never seen an alliance criticized for throwing everything they had into a fight.

I'm going to disagree with Duderonomy, though. Perma-war is just as damaging as prolonged periods of peace. Possibly even more so. Every long war in CN's history has been followed by some kind of exodus, and we're at the point where we can ill afford to have people, friend or foe, chased away.

If you think of CN as one endless, long-winded argument between alliances that are constantly changing allegiances to one another, then wars should be the punctuation. Quick and to the point.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 9:56 am 

kingzog wrote:As I said in the thread, if you sit in PM you leave yourself open to criticism. Whether it's just or unjust criticism is a matter of perspective and, let's face it, personal interest.

If you go all out, folks respect that. I've never seen an alliance criticized for throwing everything they had into a fight.

I'm going to disagree with Duderonomy, though. Perma-war is just as damaging as prolonged periods of peace. Possibly even more so. Every long war in CN's history has been followed by some kind of exodus, and we're at the point where we can ill afford to have people, friend or foe, chased away.

If you think of CN as one endless, long-winded argument between alliances that are constantly changing allegiances to one another, then wars should be the punctuation. Quick and to the point.
I think permawar (or at least sustained 6 month-to-a-year wars) are an inevitable outgrowth of the peacemode tactic. We're already seeing the losers of a war trying to dictate terms to the winning coalition while the losing AA's leaders hide in peace mode. Their hope is that by making it a contest of wills, rather than nation strength, the losing AA can simply wait out their enemies until concessions are made.

That's why I've been advocating tech trading on the winning side, so we can get a head start on NS growth. While precautions will need to be made, it is doubtful the losing side will leave PM just to get curbstomped. So keep them stagnant while DBDC, et al continue to grow.

Is it sad that nations are leaving? Yes. But it's not our decision to make. It is up to the losing coalition to determine when enough is enough. If they are happy to sit in peace mode, then we will wait until they can't stand it anymore. But our growth will continue as normal.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next