It is currently June 16th, 2019, 2:07 am

All times are UTC-03:00

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 6:24 pm 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

Centurius wrote:
kingzog wrote:
Centurius wrote:I have come to liberate you from the JayR/Pony menace.

Also hi.
Hey there, long time no type! Hope all is well with you.
Way too long :) Yeah I'm doing pretty great, you?
No complaints. Still missing NV (and Hizzy!) from time to time. I suppose you are, too.

My wife and I are going to Cuba next Wednesday for our first child-free vacation in thirteen years. It doesn't get much better than that.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 6:51 pm 

kingzog wrote:
Centurius wrote:
kingzog wrote:
Centurius wrote:I have come to liberate you from the JayR/Pony menace.

Also hi.
Hey there, long time no type! Hope all is well with you.
Way too long :) Yeah I'm doing pretty great, you?
No complaints. Still missing NV (and Hizzy!) from time to time. I suppose you are, too.

My wife and I are going to Cuba next Wednesday for our first child-free vacation in thirteen years. It doesn't get much better than that.
Yeah I definitely still miss the good old NV days.

Cuba sounds pretty great, never been there but heard some amazing stories. Any place in specific you're going?

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 12:23 am 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

We'll be staying in an area known as Santa Lucia. There are four resorts in the area, while the town of Santa Lucia itself is where the resort employees live. There's pretty much nothing else around there.

The resorts themselves are popular with scuba divers, since there's a coral reef there. But since neither my wife nor I are divers, our goal is to sit on the beach or near the pool, drinking rum.

You may know that Cuba has been extremely popular with Canadians for many years. It's not just that there are no Americans -- which is a-OK with me, and with the locals -- but the cost makes it the most affordable tropical destination in the Western hemisphere. My wife and I are paying CAD$770 each (that's about 540 Euros) for one week all-inclusive. That one price covers airfare, accommodation, food and, yes, drinks.

Tough to find a better deal than that.

Unfortunately, the food is a bit boring. I've heard that the best Cuban food is to be found in Miami; in Cuba they don't have access to many spices.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 11:18 am 

kingzog wrote:We'll be staying in an area known as Santa Lucia. There are four resorts in the area, while the town of Santa Lucia itself is where the resort employees live. There's pretty much nothing else around there.

The resorts themselves are popular with scuba divers, since there's a coral reef there. But since neither my wife nor I are divers, our goal is to sit on the beach or near the pool, drinking rum.

You may know that Cuba has been extremely popular with Canadians for many years. It's not just that there are no Americans -- which is a-OK with me, and with the locals -- but the cost makes it the most affordable tropical destination in the Western hemisphere. My wife and I are paying CAD$770 each (that's about 540 Euros) for one week all-inclusive. That one price covers airfare, accommodation, food and, yes, drinks.

Tough to find a better deal than that.

Unfortunately, the food is a bit boring. I've heard that the best Cuban food is to be found in Miami; in Cuba they don't have access to many spices.
Wow that is really cheap, I'm going to Athens with my girlfriend and that already cost me 2800 euros and it's one of the cheaper places in Europe.

It really does sound like a great vacation and I imagine the rum will be glorious so I hope you and your wife have a great time.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 11:31 am 
Markgraf
Markgraf

€540? did you go into the travel shop with a balaclava on? that be crazzzzzzzy cheap

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 2:44 pm 
Kaiserin
Kaiserin

Get a real currency.

Hiki säästää verta - Uberdude | עַם יִשְרָאֵל חַי
Click me!

ImageImage

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 10:03 pm 
Reichsgraf
Reichsgraf

Ahrimann wrote:€540? did you go into the travel shop with a balaclava on? that be crazzzzzzzy cheap
It helps that the average Cuban's salary is somewhere around US$15/month. About 80% of the cost of the trip is actually the airfare.

Also, with the end of the USSR Cuba's primary source of revenue -- sugar exports at subsidized high prices -- went away, leaving them desperate for cash. Cuba is famous for being a haven for old American cars. Well, if you look around you'll soon realize that their infrastructure hasn't been updated in twenty-five years, either.

What they're counting on is having tourists spend a lot of money while there, since everything is so damn cheap. I will definitely max out on the amount of liquor/tobacco products I'm allowed to bring back. My wife and I are also bringing one mostly-empty suitcase to carry all of the sculptures/paintings we'll bring back.

Consumer goods in Cuba are prized items. It's not that Cubans can't afford them, but rather that they simply don't exist in many Cuban shops. The mostly-empty suitcase I've mentioned above will actually be filled with things like toiletries, clothes my son has outgrown and other things that most of us here take for granted. These make great gifts for hotel staff, and they'd rather get something they can use instead of a cash tip that will do them no good at local shops. You can also barter with them as well. Last time we went to Cuba, my wife traded some old kids' clothes for a bottle of rum.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 9:26 am 

If Congress can get over the fact that the current Russian conflict is a new Cold War and not the old one, then Cuba's fate should change soon. Russia might be belligerent, but it does not have the clout overseas that it used to.

It sucks for Cuba that 300 million customers/investors on their doorsteps hasn't helped. Of course, it hasn't helped Medico, either, but the ending of drug prohibition should strangle the cartels' cashflow. Too bad it's going to take a long time to complete. Fucking Nixon.