It is currently May 25th, 2019, 2:37 am

All times are UTC-03:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 11:53 pm 

Good Eisenkreuzer

Plain honest words are as elequent as any flowery prose. We use this mode to elevate our own thoughts but we do not believe others need to emulate our style. Speak with us as you would and you will find that we can be as direct and honest as you would like. :germansmile:

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

The worth of a person is her word and deeds.

http://1stholistic.com/Reading/liv_spee ... -creed.htm

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 9:02 pm 

Where were you when the world held its breath?
Gentle Persons

I try to always speak IC but there is now way to speak on this coming day in any way but from the heart. This thread will not be a lesson on history there will be others who are far clearer in their minds on the time and facts. This is not merely a memorial to the innocents who died. There have and will be others far more eloquent and closer to those who were lost so my poor memorial could not compare.

What I do wish to do is to give but a small account of why this 9/11 anniversary means something to me.
At that time I was Financial Advisor at Merrill Lynch Canada. A good friend and colleague had moved down to New York City the year before to work with our office in the WTC. She was a bright lady I really like. When my family decided in March 2001 to travel to New York City for a long weekend I called to ask if I could stop in and see her.
Gracious as always given that it was a working Friday she asked me to come down and see her and meet her colleagues and my company colleagues.
I went down and saw the magnificent Merrill Lynch headquarters. The New York City office in the WTC complex I was let into the security cage with armed very big security guards behind bullet proof glass. I was amazed when I was asked where I was going and whom I worked for. I have grown up in the diplomatic service and therefore was used to hard security checks but her we were in New York City. I passed on my particulars never having thought to bring a business card on vacation. Guess I need some business tips I was both happily surprised and horrified when they were able to verify in seconds who I was and where I worked in our Ottawa office. They called up and I was allowed up. I got to meet many of my colleagues and chat with my friend she was busy and we talked about going for a coffee in one of the shops in the WTC. I thanked her but said I did not want to disrupt her day. So I went off myself and went and explored the WTC and up to the top observation deck I went. Pretty spectacular view it was. We came home with grand memories of an amazing city I wonder at every time I visit.

Forward to Tuesday morning Sept. 11, 2011.I am arriving a little late on a beautiful fall day. Stopped in the park on my walk to work to watch the local Chinese ladies doing Tai Chi. A ritual all the more amazing to watch because of the age of the participants and amazing grace of their movements.
Peaceful day, good spirits. I walked into my office and moments later my friend who kept CNBC on in his office calls out that a plane had struck the WTC. We all went in to his office to see what had happened. He had been watching Squawk Box with Mark Haines when they cut to pictures from their Jersey City camera showing the tower on fire and a claim that someone from one of the firms in the building had called and said it was a plane crash. Having flown into JFK many times I immediately said it’s a terrorist attack. My friend said no it’s an accident I pointed out they do not let planes fly that close. Having grown up around the world and having witnessed other attacks I really cannot say why I was so sure but I was. As we watched the coverage you could actually see the other plane coming into the second tower. We all watched in horror as the other tower seemed to explode. I turned with utter sadness and said terror attack again. First thoughts were for my friend that worked there but suddenly remember by amazing providence my assistant had told me on Monday that she was in town this week visiting her family and would be in Thursday. Someone was watching over her and her family. Next my mind flashed to those I had met and the nice African American Lady security guard who had met me for the security because she had told me her favorite coffee spot in the WTC and that she normally went there before her shift. I never knew her name and so have no way to know if she survived or not. Odd how the mind works.
Within an half an hour we were informed that our headquarters across the street and the adjacent buildings to the towers were being evacuated and services were going to be disrupted. Then we heard that the Pentagon was hit and that planes were being forced to land. The scramble of information kept coming another flight(93) could not be reached .

Then the towers began to fall and we could not help but watch. The exchanges were shut down and we all literally were holding our breath for what was next. Then it came over the intercom they were evacuating our building IN OTTAWA. First thought over reaction, then reality set in two floors up was the Israeli embassy, two floors below the Australian Embassy, 6 consulates or embassies in our two towers. None of us knew what was next. I stayed not because I am some fool hero but because I knew my clients most that are older would be frightened and horrified. I weighed the risk, I am our floor Fire Marshall and got everybody out and said to myself the risk was liveable. Our offices cleared and I called people one at a time and found that we were all holding our breaths. All day long as I called I realized I was for most the first people they had talked to outside of the house. There was chill that came over you as you talked.. I was watching and listening as I heard how many international flights headed to the United States were being directed to Canada to eliminate further risk.
Then it happened we exhaled we were scared, we were worried , we were angry but we finally had something to do. Like the decision I had made to stay. Canada MY country said to heck with the risk these people in the air and across the border were our friends and neighbours and we would not let them down. Over 230 flights landed across Canada over 33,000 people bewildered and scared found themselves where they had not planned to be. Operation Yellow Ribbon began for the next few days people opened their homes and hearts to our friends. 38 planes landed in Gander Newfoundland 6595. You may wish to look it up the town almost doubled that day. I grew up in the diplomatic service and it has been said I have a Maple Leaf tattooed on my…. Well you know. I can say however I have never been prouder of my country than that set of days.
The anger was palpable and it led to our good friends and neighbours across the street of Lebanese origin to get a little scared at the possible backlash. Three of my colleagues in New York Died on that day .
I truly hate fanatics of all stripes and creeds. We sometimes sanitize the McVeighs and Bin Ladens and Breiviks of the world. I hope we never see them as anything but the lowly thugs and murderers they are.
We remember the horror but I remembr the way the world for a short time pulled together for a neighbour, how a country that was wounded deeply and tragically found the spirit to pull together and pull ahead. How I watched men and women in the police and fire service running into a building that we would all have run away from to help others. How rescue workers and volunteers from around the globe rushed to help people they had never met nor in many cases never would, and how people opened their homes to complete strangers because it was simply the right thing to do.

Remember those lost but remember that which makes us all just a little bit better.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis
(Noral)

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 9:51 pm 
I remember very clearly what our Canadian friends did those few days housing Americans, and people from all over the world for that matter.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2011, 11:30 pm 

Gentle Persons

It is always pleasing to find that what one has produced finds favour with others. It is also enjoyable to make new friends. The Terran Empire and The Order of the Black Rose are pleased to announce the signing of the LoA between our two alliances. The Terran Empire has come to us with recommendation and referal of their Protectors Legacy and thus we are always humbled that other would wish to include us among their friends. We hope that this is just the first step in growing together.

Letter of Amity

Signatories

1. Acknowledge a desire to further relations in a formal fashion.
2. Pledge special care in the positive discourse between members in all public venues.
3. Refrain from negative commentary or complaint in all public venues.
4. Agree to resolve all reasonable grievances in a private and cordial manner.
5. Will pursue broader social contact between members.
6. Open economic interests with each other
7. Share information or intelligence that is received that impacts the other.
8. Be open to enhancing the level of formal diplomatic relations where reasonable.
9. Refrain from any aggressive military action or spying efforts against the other.
10. Refrain from providing succour to an enemy of the other during war.
11. Will provide knowledge, advice and aid in reasonable measure as requested.
12. Maintain a formal active diplomatic post in the Alliance Forum of each other.

Cancellation may be sadly accepted with 48 hours notice and a further 72 hours of NAP.

For The Order of the Black Rose

Queen AterAtra
Sir Winslow, Knight Protector
The Knights Council
Signed for Terran Empire

Yuurei - Chancellor of Foreign Affairs
Michaelboy88 - Chancellor of Administration
Tim Burke - Chancellor of Defense
estaked - Chancellor of Internal Affairs
Scribbles the Great - Chancellor of Finance

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 11:26 pm 

Gentle Persons

It is always pleasing to find friends with much in common. It is even better to find friends critiqued for the same reason you are. We have known the STA for a very long time and though we we moved in different circles we admired their ability to stand by their convictions and friends. We finally knew we must become closer when we watch three straight posts on the OWF by STA members denounced as being "Moralistic"
So to those who label both the STA and OBR as Moralistic we can but say.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

Signatories

2. Pledge special care in the positive discourse between members in all public venues.
8. Be open to enhancing the level of formal diplomatic relations where reasonable.
9. Refrain from any aggressive military action or spying efforts against the other.
12. Maintain a formal active diplomatic post in the Alliance Forum of each other.

Cancellation may be sadly accepted with 48 hours notice and a further 72 hours of NAP.

Queen AterAtra
The Knights Council

For the Siberian Tiger Alliance

Crown Prince Mishka of Tygaland, Supreme Chancellor

Pezstar of Pezstaria, Chancellor

Consilium Tigris

Eregor of Garden
Veraxyl of Rhinehard
Conistonslim of Rikatta
Jyrinx of Aquitaine

PostPosted: November 11th, 2011, 10:24 pm 

Gentle Persons

Today I stood watch as the services of remembrance unfolded at our national cenotaph. Year after year I stand as those who served and those who died are remembered and thanked. Is war a waste? Of this there can be no doubt. Is it sometimes necessary? There is sadly even less doubt. To those who have served their country in times of war and strife I offer our prayers of thanks and know regardless if the conflict is long ago or just short days away we honour your service and sacrifice and hope that you shall never need offer more again.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

Lest we forget

http://remember.sympatico.ca/

LEST WE FORGET
We Remember

By John McCrae (1915)
The Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Thanksgiving and Remembrance Day
The first Thanksgiving Day in Canada after Confederation was observed on April 15, 1872, to celebrate the recovery of The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness.

No record is found of a Thanksgiving Day between 1872 and 1879.

From 1879 to 1898, both inclusive, it was observed on a Thursday in November. In 1899, it was fixed on a Thursday in October, where it stayed until 1907, with the exception of 1901 and 1904 when the date was fixed on a Thursday in November.

From 1908 to 1921, it was observed on a Monday in October, the exact date being appointed by proclamation.

From 1921 to 1930, the Armistice Day Act provided that Thanksgiving would be observed on Armistice Day, which was fixed by statute on the Monday of the week in which November 11 fell.

In 1931, Parliament adopted an Act to amend the Armistice Day Act, providing that the day should be observed on November 11 and that the day should be known as "Remembrance Day".

Accordingly, the old practice was resumed of fixing Thanksgiving Day by proclamation, and it has been since 1931 on the second Monday of October, with the exception of 1935 where, after Thanksgiving Day had been fixed on October 14, it was decided to hold the general election on that date. A new proclamation was issued deferring the observance to October 24, a Thursday. This resulted in a great deal of controversy and the practice of observance on a Thursday was not pursued in future years.

From 1936 to 1956, inclusive, a proclamation was issued yearly to appoint the second Monday of October as Thanksgiving Day. In 1957, a proclamation was issued fixing permanently Thanksgiving Day on that day, thus eliminating the necessity of an annual proclamation.

Prior to 1867, there had been proclamations issued in Canada, the first one recorded being for 1799. The following is a list of the dates of the proclamations and observance of General Thanksgiving Days, and reasons therefore.

Poppies

Wreaths of artificial poppies used as a symbol of remembrance.
Poppies are sold every year as an act of remembrance to fallen soldiers at war. The poppy's significance to Remembrance Day is a result of Canadian military physician John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy emblem was chosen because of the poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their red colour an appropriate symbol for the bloodshed of trench warfare. A Frenchwoman, Anna E. Guérin, introduced the widely used artificial poppies given out today. Some people choose to wear white poppies, which emphasises a desire for peaceful alternatives to military action.

The Royal Canadian Legion suggests that poppies be worn on the left lapel, or as close to the heart as possible.[22]

Canada
In Canada, the poppy is worn by many members of society during the two weeks prior to November 11.

The Canadian poppies consist of two pieces of molded plastic covered with flocking with a pin to attach them to clothing. The head portion of the pin is bent at an angle in a simple unusual design that requires a unique machine at manufacturing. Originally the poppies were manufactured with a black centre. From 1980 to 2002 the centres were changed to green to represent the green hills of Flanders. Current designs are black only; this reversion caused notable confusion and controversy to those unfamiliar with the original design.[23] Until 1996, poppies were made by disabled veterans in Canada, but they have since been made by a private contractor.[24]

LEST WE FORGET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd1FNPx_YN4

A poem for our tradition.

Why Wear a Poppy ?
Poem by Don Crawford

“Please wear a Poppy”, the lady said and
held one forth, but I shook my head, Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;
But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet,
His smile was full of joy and fun:
“Lady”, said he, “May I have one”?
When she pinned it on he turned to say,
“Why do we wear a poppy today”?

The lady smiled in her wistful way,
And answered, “This is Remembrance Day,
And the poppy there is a symbol for
The gallant men who died in war,
And because they did, you and I are free,
That’s why we wear the poppy, you see”.

I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
He loved to play and jump and shout,
Free as a bird he would race about.
As the years went by he learned and grew,
And became a man – as you will, too.

But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
His letters told of the awful fight,
(I can see it still in my dreams at night)
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire, and the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

“Till at last, at last, the war was won –
And that’s why we wear a poppy, son.”
The small boy turned as if to go,
Then said, “Thanks lady, I’m glad to know,
That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son – did he come back all right?”

A tear rolled down each faded cheek:
She shook her head but didn’t speak.
I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were me you’d have done the same:
For our thanks, in giving, is often delayed
Through our freedom was bought
And thousands paid.

And so when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne,
By those who gave their very all,
When asked to answer their country’s call.
That we at home in peace might live.

Then wear a poppy,

Remember

PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 10:12 pm 
Markgraf
Markgraf

Dear Lady,
A happy day it was when the bloodshed ended.
But, sadly, the terms of peace was poisoned so that the peace could not last.
But now we have peace yet again, and may this peace last forever and bring prosperity to all.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 12:31 am 

Gentle Persons

Digiterra is a place where one crosses paths with many alliances over time. Some become enemies some become friends. Others however seem to cross your path but for various reasons no direct connection seems to take place despite that fact that you often are at the same party and work in the same office. The Order of the Black Rose has met and worked with Sparta on various project literally for years. We have both worked to help unify black in our own ways. OBR through Dark Vows and trade circles and Sparta through NOIR yet despite this and a respect that is accorded the other for their commitment to these ideals we have never formally put to pen our names on the same document. That changes today. We have and continue to move in different circles but have maintained a cordial and open dialogue in our embassies for a long time. As we continue to build on this friendship we felt formalization would be nice.

Letter of Amity

Signatories

For

The Order of the Black Rose

Queen AterAtra

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 11:59 pm 

Gentle Persons

When one finds a new friend, like House Baratheon, who also follows a similar FA path and who is structured in a similar fashion then one has to think if you might wish to be closer. Add the fact that their only two treaties are alliance whose opinions we respect, in Legacy and our good friends in Apparatus and it is a fair conclusion we would talk more. Having spent time together in embassies an on IRC we and House Baratheon easily confirmed that we both had much in common in values and a more mature style. Then we found an old friend was there and it was a done deal. We would like to show our respect for each other and announce what we hope to be a long and ever growing relationship.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

Letter of Amity

Signatories

Queen AterAtra
The Knights Council

For House Baratheon,

Roland Deschain, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm
AlmightyHero, Hand of the King

Small Council
Mila Amo, Master of Whispers
Lord Augustine, Master of the House
Mastermind, Master of Coin
Avakael, Master at Arms
David Stilicho, Grand Maester

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 12:59 pm 

Gentle Persons

At this time of year many of diverse backgrounds and cultures enjoy celebrations that honour their own traditions and values. What is deemed to seperate us in fact binds us together. The celebration of life, values and friendship is universal as the following list will confirm. May you find in this season that which you find most dear to celebrate and please ensure that you share those feelings of warmth and friendship with all you meet.
Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

The month of December is a time of many religious celebrations. In alphabetic order, by religion, they include:

Some Atheists in the U.S. have begun to celebrate the Winter Solstice. This is the day of the year when the nighttime is longest, and the daytime shortest. Lately, it has been falling on DEC-21 or 22. However it can be as early as DEC-20 and as late as DEC-23. American Atheists and many local Atheist groups have organized a variety of observances at this time.
Buddhists celebrate Bodhi Day (a.k.a. Rohatsu) on DEC-8, or on the Sunday immediately preceding. It recalls the day in 596 BCE, when the Buddha sat beneath a Bodhi tree -- a type of fig tree -- and is believed to have achieved enlightenment, thus escapeing the repeating cycle of reincarnation: involving birth, life, death and rebirth. A descendent of the original tree is the most important of four holy sites of Buddhism.
Christians in the West celebrate Christmas on DEC-25, as the day when the Yeshua of Nazareth (a.k.a. Jesus Christ) was born. He is regarded by most Christians as a deity and savior of humanity. The Eastern Orthodox churches currently celebrate Christmas on DEC-25 according to the Julian calendar, which is JAN-07 in the more commonly used Gregorian calendar. It is not actually the date of Jesus' birthday. That probably happened in the spring or fall. Its origin can be traced to an ancient Roman Pagan celebration called Saturnalia. It was a commemoration of the dedication of a temple to the God Saturn. Saturnalia was originally celebrated as a one day celebration on DEC-17. It became so popular that it was expanded to seven days. This celebration was picked up by the followers of Mithraism where it became the Feast of Sol Invicta, (the Unconquered Sun). It started on DEC-25 of the year 274 CE.
Jews celebrate Hanukkah, (a.k.a. Chanukah; "Feast of Dedication" and "Festival of Lights"). This is an 8 day observance which recalls a miracle in the Jerusalem temple during a war fought by the Maccabees in the cause of religious freedom. Temple candles only had enough oil to burn for a single day. Yet they burned for eight days. Jews light candles on a menorah -- two on the first day, three on the second, to nine on the eighth day. Between 1996 and 2008, the first day of Hanukkah fell, or will fall, between NOV-30 and DEC-26.
Followers of Kemetic Orthodoxy celebrate the Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess. This religion is a recreation of the faith of ancient Egypt, observed since about 4500 BCE This day celebrates the return of the Goddess Hathor to her father Ra and the healing of their relationship. It is held on the Winter Solstice
Muslims' holy days are fixed to the lunar calendar. On successive years, the days migrate about ten days earlier as viewed on the Gregorian calendar. Id al-Adha (a.k.a. the Feast of Sacrifice or Day of Sacrifice) occurs during the 12th lunar month of the Islamic year. This immediately follows the Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca). It recalls the day when Abraham intended to follow the instructions of God, and sacrifice his son Ishmael. It is an unusual ocurrence to have two Id al-Adha holy days during one year; it happens only about three times each century.
Some Native Americans and Aboriginal groups elsewhere in the world also observe the Winter Solstice. They associate different beliefs and rituals with it. For example, the Hopi tribe celebrations are "...dedicated to giving aid and direction to the sun which is ready to 'return' and give strength to budding life." Their ceremony is called Soyal. It lasts for 20 days and includes "prayerstick making, purification, rituals and a concluding rabbit hunt, feast and blessing..." 1
Nova Romans (a.k.a. Romana) celebrate Saturnalia, a seven day feast starting on DEC-17. 1,2 Romana are Neopagans who worship the ancient Gods of Rome and who celebrate the ancient Roman holy days.
Wiccans and some other Neopagans celebrate Yule at the time of the Winter Solstice. Some may celebrate the Sabbat (one of eight days of celebration) on the evening before, at sunrise on the morning of the solstice, or at the actual time of the astronomical event.
Zoroastrians observe Zartusht-no-diso on DEC-26, "the day in the sacred calendar when worshippers remember the death anniversary of Zarathustra. Special prayers are recited and a visit is paid to the Fire Temple as a mark of remembrance." 5
Also, in ancient times, Druids and followers of the Pagan and Polytheistic religions of Greece, Rome, and other countries held celebrations at or shortly after the Winter Solstice. Some Neopagans have recreated these religions and are following them today.

Andean
• Inti Raymi: Festival of the Sun in Quechua, winter solstice festival in areas of the former Inca empire, still celebrated every June in Cusco.
Buddhist
• Bodhi Day: 8 December - Day of Enlightenment, celebrating the day that the historical Buddha (Shakyamuni or Siddhartha Guatama) experienced enlightenment (also known as Bodhi).
Celtic
• Winter Solstice: 21 December-22 December – midwinter
Chinese
• Signature of the Constitution of the Republic of China (Taiwan): 25 December - a secular national holiday, which due to its date is celebrated in some respects like Christmas
Christian
• Advent: four weeks prior to Christmas.
• Saint Nicholas' Day: 6 December
• Christmas Eve: 24 December
• Christmas: 25 December
• Anastacia of Sirmium Feast Day: 25 December
• 12 Days of Christmas: 25 December through 6 January
• Saint Stephen's Day: 26 December
• Saint John the Evangelist's Day: 27 December
• Holy Innocents' Day: 28 December
• Saint Sylvester's Day: 31 December
• Watch Night: 31 December
• Saint Basil's Day: 1 January (Christian Orthodox) In Greece, traditionally he is the Father Christmas figure.
Germanic
• Mōdraniht: or Mothers' Night, the Saxon winter solstice festival.
Jewish
• Hanukkah: Starting on 25 Kislev (Hebrew) or various dates in November or December (Gregorian) - eight day festival commemorating the miracle of the oil after the desecration of the Temple by Antiochus IV Epiphanes and his defeat in 165 BCE
Persian
• Yalda: The turning point, Winter Solstice (December 21). As the longest night of the year and the beginning of the lengthening of days, Shabe Yaldā (Persian: یلدا) or Shabe Chelle (Persian: شب چله) is an Iranian festival celebrating the victory of light and goodness over darkness and evil. 'Shabe yalda' means 'birthday eve.' According to Persian mythology, Mithra, the sun god, was born at dawn on the 22nd of December to a virgin mother. He symbolizes light, truth, goodness, strength, and friendship. Herodotus reports that this was the most important holiday of the year for contemporary Persians. In modern times Persians celebrate Yalda by staying up late or all night, a practice known as 'Shab Chera' meaning 'night gazing'. Friends and family gather to feast and read poetry. Bibliomancy may be practiced with the poetry of Hafiz. Fruits and nuts are eaten, especially pomegranates and watermelons. The red color of these fruits invokes the crimson hues of dawn and symbolizes Mithra.
Roman
• Saturnalia: the Roman winter solstice festival
• Dies Natalis Solis Invicti (Day of the birth of the Unconquered Sun): late Roman Empire - 25 December
Sikh
• Guru Gobind Singh Gurpurab, birthday of the Guru Gobind Singh, generally falls on December or January.
Slavic
• Old New Year includes a winter ritual of strolling and singing that was later incorporated into the Christmas carol
• Malanka caps off the festivities of the Christmas holidays
Secular
• Thanksgiving: The celebration of the early colonization of the United States and the camaraderie of the settlers and the Native Americans. Occurs on the fourth Thursday in November. In Canada, second Monday in October.
• Zamenhof Day: (15 December) - Birthday of Ludwig Zamenhof, inventor of Esperanto; holiday reunion for Esperantists
• Festivus: (23 December) - Holiday celebrating the season without the pressures or commercialism of the other holidays. At first a family holiday, later publicized on the Seinfeld television show, now celebrated independently.
• HumanLight: (23 December) - Humanist holiday originated by the New Jersey Humanist Network
• Quaid-e-Azam's Day: (25 December)
• Malkh-Festival: (25 December)
• Boxing Day: (26 December) - Gift-giving day after Christmas.
• Kwanzaa: (26 December - 1 January) - Pan-African festival celebrated in North America
• Yulefest, Midwinter Christmas (around late June or July) - Australian New Zealand winter 'Christmas/Yuletide' (Although this is sometimes celebrated in the USA, where celebrations generally begin on 4th July.
• New Year's Eve: (31 December) - Last day of the Gregorian year
• Hogmanay: (Night of 31 December - Before dawn of 1 January) - Scottish New Year's Eve Celebration
• New Year's Day: (1 January) - First day of the Gregorian year
Winter festivals in popular culture
Note: The festivals listed here have been created by popular culture. Many parody Christmas, and are not traditional celebrations.
• Chrismahanukwanzadan: This is the modern-day merging of the holidays of Christianity's Christmas, Judaism's Hanukkah, African-American holiday of Kwanzaa, and Islamic Ramadan.
• Festivus: in the TV series Seinfeld: An alternative event for those who prefer to avoid normal holiday expectations. "Festivus, for the rest of us".
• Flying Spaghetti Monster Holiday: Around the time of Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, Pastafarians celebrate a vaguely-defined holiday named "Holiday", which doesn't take place on "a specific date so much as it is the Holiday season, itself". Because Pastafarians "reject dogma and formalism", there are no specific requirements for the holiday.
• Snowflake Day: The Secular and politically correct holiday from the tv show Clone High, when in 2002, the United Nations declared that all exclusive Winter holidays, including Christmas, Chanukah, and Quanza, should be abolished in favor of the all inclusive Snowflake Day. A day of celebrating snow and spices and the best dance known to mankind, the Cabbage Patch. On Snowflake Day, Snowflake Jake, the Spice Pirate, launches his spice cannonballs at the holiday's symbol of peace and celebration, the Target. Lamb tacos are eaten.
• Winter-een-mas: The annual week long celebration of video games and the people that play them.[1] Winter-een-mas is a holiday that takes place every year from January 25 to 31,[2] but is also commonly celebrated for a month. The entire month of January constitutes the Winter-een-mas season, very similar to the "Christmas season", where people begin to gear up for the holiday, and get into the spirit of things.[citation needed] The holiday was started by the fictional character Ethan in webcomic Ctrl+Alt+Del[2] by Tim Buckley. Its stated goal is to "celebrate the joy of video gaming".[citation needed] Many gaming stores, such as EB Games, celebrate the holiday.[2]
• Wintersday: The annual winter holiday in the MMORPG Guild Wars. This holiday is based on Christmas and Yule and one can obtain festival related drops from monsters and collect gifts in select cities. Special quests are available and at the end players may get Wintersday related headgear.
• Starlight Celebration: The annual winter holiday based on Christmas/Yule/winter solstice in the MMORPG Final Fantasy XI (aka FFXI). Players can collect various holiday equipment, Mog house furnishings, fireworks, and food.
• Shoe Giving: - quirky holiday famously invented on the show Hyperdrive (TV series)
• Freezingman: - 11 January - A Burning Man inspired event held in Colorado as a Winter Arts and Music Festival.[3]
• Feast of Winter Veil: December 15 to January 2 - holiday in the MMORPG World of Warcraft. This holiday is based on Christmas. Cities are decorated with Christmas lights and a tree with presents. Also special quests, items and snowballs are available. It features 'Greatfather Winter' which is modeled after [Santa Claus].
• Day of the Ninja: December 5 - A counterpoint to International Talk Like a Pirate Day founded by the creators of Ninja Burger.
• Kwansolhaneidmas: December 19 - an interdenominational holiday celebrated by people on Facebook.
• Feast of Frith, in the TV series Watership Down.
• Holiday Number 11, in the TV series Quark.
• Xmas, a twisted version of Christmas featuring a murderous Robot Santa in the TV series Futurama.
• Refrigerator Day, in the TV series Dinosaurs.
• Life Day, featured in The Star Wars Holiday Special.
• Slapsgiving, a parody of thanksgiving made famous in the TV show How I Met Your Mother.
• Agnostica: Agnostic winter festival created by Daren "Gav" Bleuel in the webcomic Nukees and celebrated by many of its fans.
• Alvistide: in the TV series Sealab 2021.
• Frostval: Adventure Quest, Dragonfable, AQworlds etc.
• Chalica: A holiday celebrated the first full week in December by some Unitarian Universalists to honor the Seven Principles of Unitarian Universalism.
• Hogswatch: a holiday celebrated on the fictional world of Discworld. It is very similar to the Christian celebration of Christmas.
• St. Yorick's Day: Holiday celebration/even celebrated by the members of Zantarni.
• Xistlessnessmas: "anti-holiday" of the Church of the SubGenius parody religion usually held around the time of Christmas, but it can be any time of the year; sometimes its name is shortened to "Xmas". Instead of a celebration, it is a period of mourning the fact that "X-Day" has not yet occurred and the "X-ists" have not yet arrived for the "Rupture" to the "Pleasure Saucers" which will take all dues-paying "SubGenii" to Planet X according to SubGenius mythology. Xistlessnessmas is the exact opposite of the SubGenius holiday "X-Day".
• Crimbo: December 1 to December 25 - The season in which Uncle Crimbo (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) delivers toys, chocolates and disaster to the Kingdom of Loathing.
• Thanksgivoween. September 1 to January 1.
• Decemberween: a parody of Christmas that features gift-giving, carol-singing and decorated trees. The fact that it takes place on December 25, the same day as Christmas, has been presented as just a coincidence, and it has been stated that Decemberween traditionally takes place "55 days after Halloween". Homestar Runner

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next